Nov 19, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1), by Michelle Hodkin

Michelle Hodkins's blog - website - goodreads - twitter

Release Date: September 27th, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Age Group: Young Adult
Overall: 5 Stars 
Categories: (I don't want to spoil it for you.)
Read in November 2011

Summary:
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.

My Opinion:

If you haven't read any other reviews for this book, and all you know about it is what you've read in that summary, then Mara Dyer's story is not something you'll be expecting to read. It begins with mystery and ends with madness. 

From the start, you're sucked up into Mara's world, one of hallucinations and tragedies and feel like there's no way out. Michelle crafted her beautifully, showing us the many sides of her personality, building it all up until that big revelation is finally out in the open. And boy, what a revelation! I'm honest when I say I did not see that one coming when grabbing this book! I was expecting something else entirely, and in the middle, I fell for this story. 

What I loved about this book was just that, the surprise we get in the end. Also, its darkness. Mara is a girl with real issues, but with an even bigger problem beneath the surface. It was how getting to that problem was written what I loved most about this book. 

And Noah's character doesn't hurt ;) Who doesn't love a bad boy with a British accent? His role in Mara's story will grow as the book progresses, and believe me, you'll end up loving him and wanting to smack him in the face at the same time. 

I strongly recommend this book to suspense, mystery and paranormal lovers.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog design and content by Ella Press, using elements by EMI