Sep 6, 2009

Author Guest Post: Shelly Nicholson


Please join me in welcoming Shelly Nicholson to The Clock Monkey!

Wow! I’ve visited lots of blogs this week on my tour to promote A Stinky Surprise for Jake the Snake and I’ve had a great time! I wanted to do something fun for Ella’s blog, because she has such a creative blog with her “monkey ratings” and her fresh outlook on books.

So I’ve decided to do a bit of an untraditional self interview…

Do I have any children? I have four children, 3 sons and a daughter! They are 13, 11, 7 and 4. Jacob, my youngest son, was inspiration for my two books Jake the Snake and the Stupid Time-Out Chair and A Stinky Surprise for Jake the Snake.

What kind of music do I listen to? I listen to a collectic mix; I love classic rock and anything I can dance to especially 80’s :) …I don’t really like country music. :(

What is my favorite movie? My favorite movie is probably the Notebook. I also love Wedding Singer and 50 First Dates.

Do I have any fears? I am terrified of mice and rats. Just like “Jake the Snake’s” mom in Jake the Snake and the Stupid Time-Out Chair and A Stinky Surprise for Jake the Snake.

When I was a kid, did I want to be a writer when I grew up? When I was a kid, I wanted to be a Dallas Cowboy’s Cheerleader when I grew up.

Who is my favorite children’s author? Kevin Henkes. I love his books Chrysanthemum, Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse, and Julius, the Baby of the World
What was my favorite TV show as a kid? The Brady Bunch

What is my favorite TV show now? Lost!
What is my favorite kid’s show now? iCarly or Drake and Josh

Thank you, Ella, for inviting me to visit your blog!
I am addicted to writing, so being a guest blog poster has been so much fun!
Right now, I think that writing for kids is my favorite pastime.
Partially, I believe, because I am still a kid at heart and imagination. I like to ride my bike with my sons, fly a kite (when I can actually get it to stay up in the air), walk around in moon shoes, sing Hannah Montana with my daughter as we travel down the highway with sunroof open and breeze blowing through our hair, read Harry Potter books, watch Disney movies, comb Barbie’s hair, bake in the Easy Bake Oven (and the real oven too), and just act plain silly.

Through my writing, I can really sink myself into the mind set of my youthful characters! It’s my intention to get early readers hooked on reading through humor and realistic characters. I want kids to be able to laugh-out-loud while they are reading my stories and relate to the situations. But I also want readers to be able to learn a valuable lesson at the end of my stories. I hope that my “Jake the Snake” books provide all of these qualities.
Writing for children is like a fountain of youth to me! :)
So, write, I say! It’s healthy and fun!

Shelly Nicholson
-------------------------------------------------

It's been fun to have you Shelly!
I'd never seen an author do a self-interview before!

You should definitely check this book out, especially if you have little siblings,
cousins, kids in general!

Click here to read my review on A Stinky Surprise for Jake the Snake

This was part of the Blog Book Tour for A Stinky Surprise for Jake the Snake


0 monkey thought (s):

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog design and content by Ella Press, using elements by EMI